Friday, June 26, 2009

God-sized hole

The other day a man knocks on my door. So, naturally, I answered it. He was from the Houston Chronicle and, long story short, I've got a free summer subscription to the Houston Chronicle's Sunday paper.

We got our first one recently, and I was reading an article in the Parade about Shia LeBeouf, the kid from the Transformers movie. It was a really sad article, but he said some things that really shocked me.

The article says, "When LaBeouf is feeling insecure, he sometimes stops his bike on the side of a busy road to see if people passing by recognize him. He is scared that they won't." I don't know about any of you guys, but I know that I grew up wondering what it would be like to be famous. I thought about all the screaming fans following you everywhere and how that would make me feel less insecure. Deep down, I knew it wouldn't work, but you can't help but wonder. You read articles about celebrities and they always say things like, "I'm just like everyone else. I'm just a normal person," but I think this article tells the real story.

Shia says, "I don't handle fame well. Most actors on most days don't think they're worthy." But here comes the clincher. "I have no idea where this insecurity comes from, but it's a God-sized hole. If I knew, I'd fill it, and I'd be on my way."

Raise your hand if you now want to share the Gospel with Shia LeBeouf. I know I sure do! He's looking for the answer--he says he wants it! Lord, I pray that You would send someone with the Answer to his problems, his insecurity, his sin-filled life. Use him to transform a worldly market into one that brings You glory.

In related news, I no longer desire to be a celebrity. I'm sure you're all relieved. It's okay, I'm just not tall enough. *Sigh* I'll save that for the little bro'. :-)

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Simone,

a. I got sucked into buying the Houston Chronicle last year. I cancelled it the next day.

b. Thanks for your comment on my blog! I'm sorry my new one doesn't have comments. That should be changed somehow.

c. I remember praying for Shia Lebouf during my "Even Stevens is the greatest show on earth" days. I will start that back up. Wow, what a confession he made!

d. I like how you write. You are witty.

Kristin