Monday, November 12, 2007

Jumpin' on the bandwagon

I struggle with writing blogs. I never feel like my words are adequate. And it's true; they're not. So I'll begin my new blog by writing someone else's words. :-)

"In my distress I called to the Lord,
and He answered me.
From the depths of the grave I called for help,
and You listened to my cry.
You hurled me into the deep,
into the very heart of the seas,
and the currents swirled about me;
all Your waves and breakers
swept over me.
I said, 'I have been banished
from Your sight;
yet I will look again
toward Your holy temple.'
The engulfing waters threatened me,
the deep surrounded me;
seaweed was wrapped around my head,
To the roots of the mountains I sank down;
the earth beneath barred me in forever.
But You brought my life up from the pit,
O Lord my God.

When my life was ebbing away,
I remembered You, Lord,
and my prayer rose to you,
to Your holy temple.

Those who cling to worthless idols
forfeit the grace that could be theirs.
But I, with a song of thanksgiving,
will sacrifice to You.
What I have vowed I will make good.
Salvation comes from the Lord."

And the Lord commanded the fish,
and it vomited Jonah onto dry land.

Jonah 2:2-10 [emphasis mine]

No comments: