Thursday, December 6, 2007

Good cop, bad cop

I was driving through College Station the other day when I spotted a police car coming down the other side of the road towards me.

I immediately tensed. It was almost a reflex.

But then I checked my speedometer. I was going the speed limit. Why did I get nervous? I knew I was going the speed limit... that's why I set my cruise control on it.

Why do we get nervous when we see cops? Why is that such a reflex? Granted, there are myriads of stories out there about police officers that take advantage of people, giving unreasonable tickets, etc. But there are just as many times when the opposite happens. I hear about lots of people getting off with warnings. Or they actually were going 15 over the speed limit and deserved the ticket. Or they were going 15 over the speed limit and got only a warning anyway.

Why do we have such a fear of man? What is it about others that controls us so much? Why is it so difficult to fear the Lord, and Him only?

"Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ." Galatians 1:10

No comments: